Hi everyone, I hope you’re all having an amazing day and staying safe. Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme that was created by The Broke and the Bookish and is currently being hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This weeks question is “Bookish Pet Peeves”
1. First off I have to mention instalove if only to get it out of the way. Like a lot of people I’m just bored of this now it’s not realistic and as someone who loves a good slow burn angsty romance I’m always disappointed when this happens.
2. When authors, particularly those of high risk fantasy books, don’t have to guts to kill off their main cast of characters. I might be a bit sadistic here but when you have series that build up to a big end battle and everyone comes out breathing it just feels anticlimactic. I need that emotional hit otherwise it feels like a let down.
3. Unnecessarily long books. Don’t get me wrong I love a good long book but only when it’s required for the story. I feel there are certain books that could have been wrapped up much quicker and that have way too many filler scenes that are just pointless and add nothing to the overall story or character development and just leave me feeling bored.
4. The not like other girls troupe. Can we all just agree that this has well overstayed it’s welcome.
5. Similar to the one above girl on girl hate. Why is the narrative that girls are in competition with each other still being pushed. Let’s leave this in the past and give us more females friendships and females supporting one another.
6. When book covers are changed halfway through a series. This is purely for aesthetic reasons but it’s so annoying when I look at my shelf and have way too many different cover designs for certain series.
7. Another one is stickers on books, why just why. Sometimes they come off perfectly but most of the time you end up with sticky residue on the cover that just drives me up the wall.
8. Not releasing the hardback and paperback at the same time. Paperbacks are cheaper than hardbacks and it can limit people’s ability to buy the book if they aren’t released at the same time. And it’s really unfair that someone has to wait so much longer as sometimes it can be up to a year before they are able to read and enjoy the story.
9. When people i.e. my sister tells me not to laugh out loud at books. Sometimes books are funny and I don’t see why I can’t laugh at them just because no one else knows what I’m laughing at. I should be allowed to express my emotions in peace thank you very much.
10. This last one is similar to the one above but when people judge you for crying at fictional characters. I have lost count of the amount of times I have been told that they aren’t real. I know that but for those few moments that I’m reading about them they are and I have the right to be upset if they die.
What are some of your pet peeves?? Do you agree with any of mine??