Hi everyone, I hope you are all having an amazing day and are staying safe. We have officially moved into the best season of the year AKA Autumn and to celebrate this I thought I would recommend some books that just put me in such an autumn/cosy/spooky mood.
1. Sawkill Girls by Clare Legrand. Autumn of course is the home of Halloween so I couldn’t not start off this list with a spookier read. This was one that I was a bit skeptical of going into at first but honestly ended up loving it. It follows three main characters who live on a small Island where girls have a habit of disappearing and the island is said to be haunted by evil.
2. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I really don’t think I need to say much about this book as I constantly bring it up but there really is no better book to be reading during autumn. As you can guess from the title this book takes place in a circus, this circus will appear without warning in towns all over the world, is only open at night and is probably one of the most magical places I have read about. This book is so whimsical and magical but also has darker undertones which makes it perfect for this time of year.
3. Frankenstein by Mary Shelly. If you are going to pick up a classic gothic book then I beg you to give this one ago. Known as the first science fiction novel, this is so well written with interesting plot and also dives deep into human psyche.
4. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. Of course we can’t have autumn without some cosy vibes and this book has it in spades. This is a parody of gothic litterature so you have slight spookier aspects as well. We follow Cathrine who is obsessed with gothic literature and who often blurs the lines between fiction and real life in a way that felt pretty relatable.
5. The Diviner’s by Libba Bray. You can’t have autumn with out a good ghost story especially when that one is set in the 1920s. This is one of the most atmospheric books I have read, it has a really intriguing plot and amazing cast of characters and will leave you feeling ready for Autumn.
There are obviously lots of other books that are perfect for this time of the year but these are the few that I feel should be staple autumn reads.
What books do you think people should be picking up in autumn?? Have you read any of the above?? Do you agree with my picks??