Title: Carry On
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publisher: Wednesday Books
Release Date: May 9th 2017
Number of Pages: 522
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Simon Snow is the worst Chosen One who’s ever been chosen.
That’s what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he’s probably right.
Half the time, Simon can’t even make his wand work, and the other half, he starts something on fire. His mentor’s avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there’s a magic-eating monster running around, wearing Simon’s face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here — it’s their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon’s infuriating nemesis didn’t even bother to show up.
After years of my little sister getting on at me to read this book I finally picked it up and am feeling very underwhelmed by it. It wasn’t the worse book I’ve ever read but I also wasn’t blown away by it. It was just sort of meh.
I’m going to write this review in bullet points and split it into what I liked and what I didn’t like.
Things I liked
- Baz was by far the best part of this book. I was living for his chapters and would happily have read a whole book just from his narrative.
- Baz and Simon’s relationship. I totally get why people are obsessed with these two as they are so cute together and I was definitely shipping them.
Things I thought were meh
- Simon, I wasn’t that interested in his POV to be honest and the times he really interested me were when he was with Baz.
- Penelope. I liked Penelope and was interested in her character at times but overall she didn’t blow me away
Things I didn’t like
- Agatha, she bored the life out of me and I really don’t see what the point of her was.
- The magic system. It was ridiculous and made no sense what so ever.
- The plot. To be honest the plot just bored me, I didn’t find it interesting or entertaining in the slightest
I know so many people love this book but it just wasn’t for me and I don’t plan on continuing with the series, much to my sisters dismay. I gave this 2.5 stars.
Have you read this book? What did you think of it?
3 thoughts on “Carry On Spoiler Free Review”
Baz is everything, I 100% agree with that statement. It’s funny, I expected so many different things from Wayward Son but really all I got was heartbreak. Which I strangely enjoyed better than if it was a happier book. But I can also understand not wanting to continue the series. Great review!!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you, Baz really was amazing 💜
LikeLiked by 1 person